Munich Public Transport
You can go anywhere in and around Munich via public transport.
When arriving at the Munich airport with a flight to Munich, your best option is to go to Hauptbahnhof (central station) via the S-Bahn (suburban train) S1 or S8.
Using the Munich public transport is easy, once you've mastered to buy a ticket. :-)
In my opinion, the MVV (Munich transportation services) pricing system is one of the most difficult ones. You'll easily see what I mean when recognizing first-time users by standing clueless in front of one of the self-service ticket machines.
On the picture to the right you can appreciate the complexity of the system just by looking at the dozens of possibilites to buy your ticket.
But don't be scared, even the most difficult part about Munich public transport will seem easy, if you follow our tips to find the cheapest ticket around Munich:
Coming from Franz-Josef-Strauss Airport
There are three different ticket machines. Look out for a blue one, that gives you only three choices and is written in German and English, like the one on the picture to the left.
The three options are:
- 1. Single trip ticket: valid for one trip from the airport to anywhere in Munich (use this only if this will be your one and only trip with the Munich public transport during that day). Price: 11,20 Euro
- 2. Single person day ticket "Gesamtraum": valid for one person on one calendar day (til 6 a.m. next morning) for as many trips as you wish. Price: 12,80 Euro
- 3. Partner day ticket "Gesamtraum": valid for up to 5 persons on one calendar day for as many trips as you wish with all public transport in Munich. Price: 23,90 Euro
Getting around in Munich during your vacation
- Single or partner day ticket "Innenraum": valid in the center of Munich (in the Munich subway map the inner white circle). This should be enough for you, because most of the landmarks will be near the center of Munich. Price: 6,60 single and 12,60 partner
- Single or partner 3-day-ticket "Innenraum": same as above, but for 3 consecutive days. Price: 16,50 Euro single and 29,10 Euro partner
- Weekly or monthly ticket: This is your choice if you stay one week or longer. Unfortunately the weekly and monthly tickets will only start on Mondays or the first of each month.
Buy the ticket for the rings 1-4 (which corresponds to the Innenraum). Weekly tickets can only be purchased at certain ticket machines, but you can get them at a counter. Even some kiosks in the underground stations will sell weekly or monthly tickets. Price: 21,60 weekly and 7820 monthly.
Request the timetable for your connections.